While working with clients with rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases for the past 15 years, I’ve noticed some silver linings that come with these diseases. These are the top 9 that I’d like to share with you!
- When someone stops to hold the door, lift something heavy, or just offer a genuine smile (under a mask of course!), it means so much more. Being able to recognize those acts of kindness is inspiring.
- Better parking!
- You learn to love yourself for who you are, not what your body can do.
- Knowing that even on your worst of days, you are not alone. Other people have gone through, are going through, and will go through the pain you experience, and there are resources to help!
- Although you become more mindful of every joint movement to avoid pain, you also learn to be more aware of the relationship between your body and your mind overall. This knowledge can have a positive impact on other aspects of your life.
- Rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases help you recognize how much you are really capable of. You are so much stronger than you realize!
- Needing to move slower allows you to truly enjoy life’s little pleasures. Slowing down to live life, instead of rushing through the important moments, makes life more meaningful.
- While these diseases have a significant impact on life, they can also inspire you to be more dedicated to taking care of yourself. This positively affects not only your own health and well-being, but can improve your relationships with others that you love. (Any moms out there that can agree with this one!?)
- Finally, going through these experiences and challenges helps you accept that life is not perfect. Letting go of the things that aren’t important, and focusing on the things that are will pave the way to a longer, more fulfilling life!
Do you have anything to add? Let me know!
Check out my website for more (free!!!) uplifting resources!
I would love to get to know you!